Almost everywhere we turn people are telling us to eat less if we want to lose weight. This isn’t necessarily the case. If we dramatically drop our calories and “starve” our bodies, our bodies will do what it takes to hang on to that fat, and let go of muscle. Here are some tips to keep the muscle, and burn the fat.
1. Eat every 2-3 hours. This keeps your metabolism running hot, you need to eat every few hour. It works well to do breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a snack a few hours after each meal.
2. Up your protein intake. You’ll want to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh. Spread this out over your 5-6 meals. If you weigh 150 pounds, that would be about 600 calories in protein, so about 100 calories should come from protein in each meal/snack.
3. Keep your fat intake to about 20-30 percent of your daily calories.
4. Cut your caloric intake by about 500 calories per day.
5. Make sure your carbs are from whole grains, and not refined. It is ok to eat carbs, you don’t want to cut them out, they should make up about 40% of your daily calories. Also spread them out over each meal/snack.
6. Eat a meal good meal within an hour of working out. Your muscles are broken down, and ready to absorb protein at this point. Keep with the ratios we’ve talked about, and soon after working out.
This is a great way to lose weight, and to keep it off, this will avoid yo-yo dieting. Once you get your metabolism burning at a faster rate, you will be able to slowly increase your calories, and still be able to lose fat.